Monday, October 19, 2020

For Online Sermon October 18, 2020

By Pat Russell

Considering the final sermon before his retirement from Pastor Bruce Spear, October 18, 2020

Scripture for the day: 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18

 6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

16 At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. 17 But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed, and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

As I write my reflections on Pastor Bruce’s final sermon, I am once again keenly aware of God’s word coming to us through our Pastor as he says goodbye. So today, I encourage you to take this passage and change it into a prayer for Bruce and Susan. After each verse, say a parallel thought for Bruce and Susan. For instance, with verse 6 I might say, “I thank you for how Bruce poured out Your Words to us in his sermons. And I am so grateful for Susan pouring out her heart in music and poetry.”

Include remembrances of how the Lord Jesus brought Bruce and Susan into our midst; how you have been blessed by them and their lives; how He kept them (and us) through difficult times; the things that make you say, “thank you.”  Be a testimony to God on their behalf. And then, pray for them as they step into this new season of life. 

And finally, lift up a prayer for our church fellowship in the days ahead.

If you care to write out that prayer and send it to me, I will be sure they get it.

Pat Russell

patannruss@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment